Des Moines – On Wednesday, June 5thCapital City Pride (CCP) in cooperation with Athene USA and Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines will host Storytellers: True Stories, True Selves. This special event is centered around everyday people telling true stories about who they are, what they do, and why it matters.
“We’re excited to partner with Athene USA and Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines to bring such a powerful event to the Des Moines community,” said Dan Jansen, President, Capital City Pride. “Through these memorable stories, we will show that everyone has a story worth telling and this event sends a message that everyone is worth listening to. This is especially important in Des Moines LGBTQ community where people have pride in their identity and want to share stories that define and reinforce community and ally values.”
These are the unexpected stories – some charming, some touching, some funny – from local men and women creating families, creating lives, and creating a city and community they are proud of. The event will include five guest speakers.
- Michael Morain – What it was like to be a journalist and a gay man when the Iowa Supreme Court marriage decision came out.
- Jen Carruthers – Finding her authentic self through the drag king world
- Bryan Smith – Coming out and owning a gay bar later in life
- Dani Ausen – Coming out through playing Dungeon and Dragons.
- Jordan Duesenberg – The ups and downs of falling in love with me
True Stories, True Selves will be held at the Temple for Performing Arts at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 5th. This event is free to attend.